Donald Bernard Plaque, Daughters of American Revolution Plaque
Location: North side of old ammunition bunker, Fort Phoenix Historic Park, Fairhaven, MA
IN MEMORY OF
HISTORIAN, AUTHOR, AND FIRE CHIEF
DONALD R. BERNARD
WHO LED REVOLUTIONARY AND
CIVIL WAR ENACTMENTS ON
THIS SITE. HIS EFFORTS BROUGHT
AWARENESS OF THE SIGNIFICANT
ROLE THIS AREA HAS PLAYED SINCE
THE BIRTH OF OUR NATION.
DEDICATED ON DECEMBER 11TH 1993
BY A GRATEFUL PEOPLE OF THE COMMUNITY
Donald Bernard was a tireless worker concerning the history of Fairhaven. He was responsible for organizing militia groups that performed many re-inactments at the Fort, both colonial and Civil War era. The plaque was dedicated December 11, 1993 and was placed on the north wall of the old stone fort.
Location: Fort Phoenix
BUILT FOR HARBOR DEFENSE
DESTROYED BY THE BRITISH
SEPTEMBER 6, 1778
LATER REBUILT AND NOW
THE PROPERTY OF
THE TOWN OF FAIRHAVEN
THIS TABLET ERECTED BY
FORT PHOENIX CHAPTER
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
OF NEW BEDFORD, MASS.
A tablet commemorating the part played in the history of Fairhaven by Fort Phoenix was unveiled December 14, 1930 by members of the Fort Phoenix Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, on a rock wall of the Fort. In 1998, the tablet was damaged in an attempt to steal it and is now being reconditioned in order to be replaced on the wall.
Undated Fairhaven Star Newspaper articles, Millicent Library.
The fine print:
The Millicent Library has had a website since 1995.
Kyle DeCicco-Carey, Library Director