Coronavirus Fairhaven Project
You are always living through history. This coronavirus time is a very different sort of existence for everyone. We would like to document it for the Millicent Library Archives. It is especially important these days with less newspaper coverage and more ephemeral social media use.
(We have adapted the questionnaire from the Hyde Park Historical Society.)
Word documents, pdfs, written notes will all be accepted, as well as poems, drawings, videos, photos, etc. once we are back up and running. We may also need volunteers to help with this project. SPELLING AND GRAMMAR DON’T MATTER!
It is also VERY IMPORTANT that we get information from people who are not online, so if you know anyone who isn’t online please print out the questions and pass it along to them to fill in as they wish.
Please wait until the crisis is over before submitting anything. It might be helpful if you keep a running account of your thoughts for the whole duration. We will start collecting them when the quarantine period is over and we are open again.
Tell us about you! Answer as many of the questions below as you want using whatever paper or computer is at hand.
We are collecting demographic information so that researchers and future generations can better understand how COVID-19 affected different members of our communities, e.g. college students, seniors, etc.
How old are you?
- Under 18
- Over 70
What is your gender?
What neighborhood do you live in?
- North Fairhaven
- East Fairhaven
- Sconticut Neck
- West Island
- Fairhaven Center
- Tell us how daily life changed.
- When did you first become aware of the outbreak? What were your first thoughts or feelings?
- Have you experienced an outbreak, epidemic, other disaster (e.g. 9/11 or war) like this before and, if so, what are the similarities or differences?
- How did your (and/or your families’) daily routine change?
- Did your (or your child’s) school or place of childcare close? How did this change daily life?
- Did your place of business close? Did you still get paid during this time? Were you able to work from home? How did this change daily life?
- How did the “stay-at-home” order affect your business or job?
- Did social and physical distancing change the way that you interacted with friends, family, and neighbors?
- Did social and physical distancing change the way that you went shopping and what you bought?
- Have you or any of your family contracted COVID-19?
- What has been the effect of COVID-19 on any local organizations that you belong to or know about? i.e. religious institutions, social clubs, community service organizations etc.
- What do you see as the short term effects of COVID-19 on your community?
- What do you see as the longer term effects of COVID-19 on your community?
- Is there anything else you would like to share with us?